Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 5: Stepping out of my comfort zone

I just want to start this blog off saying how incredibly blessed I am. Everything about this trip so far has been awesome and it is only day 5. Just wow... im amazed at how God has blessed my life :)

This morning we woke up and went to downtown Orlando, where we shared our faith with seemingly random people on the streets. (btw, downtown Orlando is gorgeous)


But anyways, today one of my roommates, Nick, and I were partnered up while sharing. We were walking around and we happened upon a young guy sitting at a bench by himself, so of course we went up to talk to him. His name was Devon and we spoke to him for a while, and the conversation got to the point where we were able to go through the 4 steps in the booklet (pictured above) with him. We even got him to call up one of his friends and she is going to take him to church with her on Sunday! He didn't accept Christ at that moment but we were able to plant that seed, and found someone in his life who would actually be able to follow up with him! (another awesome thing about this part of the story is that he found us later and introduced us to his mom and little brothers! And he had already talked to her about us, and we could tell she wanted to talk as well but she was incredibly flustered and busy because one of Devon's younger brothers is autistic. So we left her our numbers, a copy of the booklet, and told her to call us if she wanted to talk since were going to be here all summer!)

We were downtown for about 2 hours today, walking around and evangelising, but afterwords, I got to have lunch with Lee and Chelsie (the project director and his wife) and that was awesome! Not only did we eat my favorite of Mexican, but we had awesome conversation over lunch, and on the car ride back!

I then had a few hours of downtime so I hung out at the pool with everyone for about 2 hours, and then after that I went and played a game of pick up soccer with about 10 of  the other project students! I didn't realize how much I actually missed playing competitively.

But then at 6:30 we had mens time. All the guys on project got together to do fun activiites. While I am not allowed to disclose what actually happened so as to not ruin it for others who may do a project in the future, I loved it! It was physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually exhausting and I am barely staying awake right now to share this with you all, but it was awesome!

Overall, today was great. I was pushed way out of my comfort zone to approach random people and share my faith with them (and actually enjoyed it), I got to hang out and get to know some people better, and then the awesomeness of mens time!

My Daily Quiet Time
Today I read Luke 3:1-20

The part of this passage that stuck out to me the most was when John talks about how we are cleansed by fire. At first this confused me, because fire = hell so why would Jesus use fire to cleanse us? But upon further research, fire is used often to get rid of impurities in metals and also to steralize things. So Jesus cleanses us with fire to remove impurities from our lives (sin) and to make us pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment