Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 4: Embrace the Awkward

Yet again, we had an early morning! I woke up around 8 a.m. and we had another long day of evangelism training from 9 a.m - 5 p.m. Today we learned many things!  The thing that stuck out most in my mind was how to approach those from different cultures because we did this really interesting activity where half of us went outside ( i was in that group) and the other half stayed inside. The half that was inside were given instructions on different behaviors on how to act. One group could only talk to you once you shook there hand, one group couldnt look you in the eye, and one group had to agree with everthing you said. The group that was outside had to interact with the group from inside and figure out what they were doing, without having any idea as to what they were doing. This is synonomous with trying to interact with people from other cultures, because it can be different and sometimes awkward but we just have to 
 
                                              "Embrace the Awkward!"

After evangelism training several of the students on project decided to head over to krispy kreme for:

              NATIONAL DONUT DAY

We were all given a free donut! After leaving krispy kreme we decided to walk across the street to dunkin donuts and see if they would give us donuts as well... of course they didnt... So Krispy Kreme is the official donut place of project!!!
                                           So this is the Krispy Kreme we went to this afternoon!
                                          Even my favorite, Chocolate Cake Donuts, were warm!!


We then had a "surf school" graduation! It was a huge surprise but the staff actually took us surfing! It wasn't "real" surfing but it was surfing nonetheless! It was at this awesome indoor place right down the road from where we are staying and we all had a blast!!  I am only putting one picture on here, but im sure there will be tons more on facebook soon!

Face is kinda intense!! 




While we were surfing, we were remdinded of the greatness of our God by this beautiful sunset!



Daily Quiet Time
Today in my quiet time I read a passage from the Gospel of Luke and also Psalm 103. I want to leave you with a verse from the Psalm.

Psalm 103:8
"The Lord is merciful and gracious! Slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love!" 

This particular verse stood out to me today because I need to act like Christ through my actions this summer with my job. I need to be slow to anger while I am working and show steadfast love to all the park guests and my co-workers. If I do these things I will be showing Christ's love through my actions while also giving off a better witness than someone who is bitter and angry all the time about my job! So no matter what happens at work this summer, and no matter how irritated I may be, I will always be merciful and gracious, and also not show anger towards others but the love of Christ.





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time. I'm praying for you! That game sounds like one I did in training 25 years ago. (Was it by chance called Bafa Bafa?)

    Mrs. Nelsen (Chris' mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what it was called, I dont think they actually had a name for it! But yes it was fun :)

      Delete